[Printing-architecture] Re: Time line for the common printing dialog

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 08:24:17 PST 2007

peter sikking wrote:
> Till Kamppeter wrote:
>
>> after the OpenPrinting Meeting in Tokyo
>> https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/LFJapanSymposiumTokyo2007
>>
>> we have agreed on a time line for the common printing dialog:
>
> Who agreed? Kurt, Jan, Josef, Celeste and I (the people who
> do the actual UI work) were not in Tokyo...

The guys from the japanese printer manufacturers. As I see the situation
now we better do not think about a draft of the spec this year.

>> December: First draft of dialog spec
>
> Let's see: I am booked by customers until christmas and that is the end
> of the year. Thanks to the lightning footwork of the linux foundation,
> the application period for the season-of-usability associate who will
> work with me is starting right now (instead of, say, the 1st of October).
> The application period end the 10th of Jan, it would be a miracle if work
> on the spec starts before 1st of Feb.
>
> Also before the spec'ing can start, we need that usability test
> to validate that we a re on the right track. Let's see when Jan
> can do that.
>
>> February: Final spec
>>
>> End of February; Kick-off meeting for the coding of the dialog: The
>> dialog designer group of OpenUsability meets with developers from
>> GNOME, KDE, Trolltech, GTK, ...
>

> That looks all way too optimistic now.

Should we better simply take a break in December and go on where we left
off in January and then have the meeting by the end of March, so
everything moved to one month later?

Let's have the meeting in Berlin than, perhaps at Trolltech (Kurt, can
you talk with the guys at Trolltech).

Do you think, this is a better time line? If not, please make a suggestion.

    Till