[Printing-architecture] Google Summer of Code 2008: Application period for mentoring organizations: March 3-12

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 07:55:58 PST 2008

Hi,

the Google Summer of Code 2008 got announced these days:

http://code.google.com/soc/2008

The application period for mentoring organizations is March 3 - 12.

It would be great if this year we get some implementation work done by
means of the Google Summer of Code. My ideas for student projects are:

  * libjtapi: C implementation of JTAPI to be shipped by Linux
    distribution and Unix operating systems.
  * PAPI integration in CUPS: Seems that no one is working on that
    currently
  * Filling the holes in the PDF workflow with CUPS: It is still not
    determined who will code the CUPS filters pdftoraster, texttopdf,
    pdftoijs
  * Common Printing Dialog: Coding on the dialog designed by
    OpenUsability, for KDE and/or GNOME
  * OpenPrinting database: Web-based (CGI) software for efficiently
    reviewing and triaging user-contributed printer entries and comments
    and integrating them into OpenPrinting XML database (Foomatic
    database). Also to join duplicates and to remove bad entries.

Please post your ideas up to Monday, March 10 at the latest, so that we
have time to include them in our application.

As agreed with Jeff Licquia, the Linux Foundation will enter as one
mentoring organization, with projects from all workgroups, especially
also LSB.

Please enter your project ideas on

https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Google_Summer_of_Code

Should we schedule a conference call about the application for the
Google Summer of Code?

Hi,

the main weakness of OpenPrinting is the lack of man power, so we should
make use of all means to raise man power. A very good opportunity is the
Google Summer of Code (http://code.google.com/soc/), but we must be well
prepared when they open their call for mentoring organizations. Between
the opening and the application deadline there is only one week and so
we will possibly not be able to schedule a phone meeting in that week.
Remember that we have missed last year's deadline by finalizing in the
OP Steering Committee phone meeting. As there are no announcements of
the opening we should already start to prepare the definitions of the
projects we want to offer so that when they open we have the application
ready.

So please anyone, make your suggestions for projects to be offered for
Google Summer of Code students.

My suggestions are (the order is not the order of importance):

  * libjtapi: C implementation of JTAPI to be shipped by Linux
distribution and Unix operating systems.
  * PAPI integration in CUPS: Seems that no one is working on that currently
  * Filling the holes in the PDF workflow with CUPS: It is still not
determined who will code the CUPS filters pdftoraster, texttopdf, pdftoijs
  * Common Printing Dialog: Coding on the dialog designed by
OpenUsability, for KDE and/or GNOME
  * OpenPrinting database: Web-based (CGI) software for efficiently
reviewing and triaging user-contributed printer entries and comments and
integrating them into OpenPrinting XML database (Foomatic database).
Also to join duplicates and to remove bad entries.

Last year the deadline for mentor organizations to apply was March 12,
please keep an eye on the Google Summer of Code web site to not miss the
opportunity again.

What about phone meetings to talk about this subject?