[Printing-architecture] Partner Ship for Next Summit Meeting

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Mon Apr 21 15:09:30 PDT 2008

All,

I have just returned from both the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit and
the PWG Face-Two-Face Meetings.   At both meetings the issues and side-bar
discussion of joint meeting was discussed.  The conclusion from both
meetings was that the Open-Printing group should move it partnership and,
thus, joint meetings from the PWG to the Linux Foundation Summit, the KDE
Desktop and Gnome Desktop conferences/summits/meetings.

This now make more sense as we all see the Open-Printing activities moving
from architecture and sub-system work to integration with Desktop and Linux
Distributions along with implementation of existing Open-Printing
specifications.

With the existing cross-membership of individuals in both the PWG and
Open-Printing, I don't believe there will be any loss in connectivity
between the PWG and Open-Printing.  However, based on the actual
results/interactions of the last Linux Foundation Summit, we need to create
new alliances with the other Linux Foundation groups and Linux Foundation
collaborating (desktop) groups.

Therefore, I would like the question of Open-Printing partnership
realignment on the agenda for the next Open-Printing Steering Committee
Meeting.  Further, assuming acceptance of this realignment, I would like to
have a discussion of specific summits/meetings/forums that we should try to
join over the next year or so. And, in addition, what specific goals we
should achieve at each of the specific summits/meetings/forums.

gwp