[Printing-architecture] PDF CUPS filter packages

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 04:59:44 PDT 2008

Thank you, now the package rebuilds correctly for me. Next step to fix
now for you is to eliminate the necessity of full copies of the Poppler
and CUPS source code in the package.

Another issue are the cost factors in the .convs files. They must
prioritize the PDF workflow. Note here that lower cost factors give
higher priority.

I suggest the following:

pdftopdf:
application/pdf         application/vnd.cups-pdf        33   pdftopdf

pdftoraster:
application/vnd.cups-pdf application/vnd.cups-raster    66   pdftoraster

imagetopdf:
image/gif               application/vnd.cups-pdf        50   imagetopdf
image/x-sun-raster      application/vnd.cups-pdf        50   imagetopdf

(all lines 50 as cost factor)

We will also need a pstopdf filter to handle PostScript input. This
filter can be a simple script which can be easily derived from the
pstoraster filter. It will need the following conversion rule:

pstopdf:
application/postscript   application/pdf                   0 pstopdf

We also need to add the following rule to make native PostScript
printers working with the PDF workflow (the filter comes already with CUPS):

pdftops:
application/vnd.cups-pdf application/vnd.cups-postscript   0 pdftops

Also a problem are the PPD files shipped with the package. They need
certain OpenPrinting Vector driver modules which do not ship with the
package. The PPD files need to be moved into the packages which ship the
driver modules, as otherwise a printer setup tool will list the
appropriate printers but printing on them will not work. In addition,
PPD files should not be put directly into /usr/share/ppd, but into
/usr/share/ppd/<supplier>/<manufacturer>.

I have also run lintian and linda, reporting the following smaller
issues with the package:

till at till-laptop:~/ubuntu/opfc-pdf-filters/opfc-pdf-filters-0.4.1$ linda
../opfc-pdf-filters_0.4.1-1ubuntu804_amd64.deb
W: opfc-pdf-filters; File
/usr/share/doc/opfc-pdf-filters/imagetopdf/LICENSE.txt.gz is considered
to be an extra license file.
W: opfc-pdf-filters; Binary /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftoopvp compiled with
an RPATH of /usr/lib.
till at till-laptop:~/ubuntu/opfc-pdf-filters/opfc-pdf-filters-0.4.1$
lintian ../opfc-pdf-filters_0.4.1-1ubuntu804_amd64.deb
W: opfc-pdf-filters: extra-license-file
usr/share/doc/opfc-pdf-filters/imagetopdf/LICENSE.txt.gz
W: opfc-pdf-filters: copyright-without-copyright-notice