[Printing-architecture] [Gimp-print-devel] Common Printing Dialog: PPD extension specs updated

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 02:18:44 PDT 2008

Robert Krawitz wrote:
> I've added support for Quick Presets using the Image Type
> (StpImageType) and for widget hinting.  They pass cupstestppd.  Till,
> can you check them out (use "make ppd-global" to produce
> multi-language PPDs).

Generally, the PPDs are generated correctly, but there are some problems:

- All the translated UI strings are English for me. My distro is Ubuntu
Intrepid. What do I have to change to get actual translations. I would
like to have multi-language PPDs in both Ubuntu and LSB packages.

- There is a small bug in the *OPOptionHints lines: At least for the
options whose machine-readable names start with "Stp" the option names
in the *OPOptionHints lines do not start with "Stp". Replace lines like

*OPOptionHints Weave: ...

by

*OPOptionHints StpWeave: ...

Check this for all options

- I have changed the syntax of the *OPOptionHints keyword from

*OPOptionHints <option name>: <hint1>[, <hint2>, ...]

*OPOptionHints <option name>: "<hint1> [<hint2> ...]"

to be more consistent with the syntax of the other keywords of my PPD
extensions and also to be compatible with CUPS DDK. CUPS DDK is not able
to handle lines without quotes. It would add the quotes. With the quotes
we also open the possibility to distribute the hints over more than one
line.

*OPOptionHints StpBrightness: slider, input, spinbox

has to get replaced by

*OPOptionHints StpBrightness: "slider input spinbox"

now.

- For the fine adjustment options add lines like

*OPOptionHints StpFineBrightness: "hide"

now.

> I have not added support for option tagging, which will be more
> complicated and will need some (minor) core changes.

Here the tags need to be well selected so that the user finds the
desired controls easily. You could use the BZR snapshots of the dialogs
under development to test drive your tags.