[Printing-architecture] poppler vs. GhostScript & color management

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 09:43:46 PDT 2008

We switched now from a PostScript workflow without color management to a
PDF workflow without color management. Next step would be to have color
management being a standard part of the printing infrastructure.

All drivers except CUPS raster drivers (IJS, Ghostscript built-in, ...)
still use Ghostscript in the first implementation of the CUPS PDF
workflow in Ubuntu Intrepid. Foomatic 4.0 makes it possible that PDF
gets fed into Ghostscript and using nearly the same Ghostscript command
lines as before.

Color management is not yet completely implemented in both renderers. It
is really a good idea for next GSoC to do projects on making color
management work in both Ghostscript (if GS upstream developers do not
complete it in 8.64, due in Feb 2009) and Poppler (and also the CUPS
imagetoraster filter).

    Till