[Printing-architecture] Last OP SC - Mon/Tue - 2/3 February 2009 - The Recording

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Tue Feb 3 17:11:40 PST 2009

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 02:46:16 pm you wrote:
> [...]
> > color management engine when the *toraster filter sets up the color
> > transforms that it needs for the document it is handling.
> >
> > On the "OS level" you do NOT need agreement on what color space will be
> > used but rather what needs to be agreed to is how the transformations
> > from the document color space(s) to the output device color spaces will
> > be handled. There is work underway on this end of things by the OpenICC
> > folks. Specifically Oyranos which is a system wide CM configuration
> > management back end that is being worked on my Kai-Uwe Behrmann and for
> > KDE the Kolor Manager System Setting applet which is a KDE4 specific
> > Oyranos front end that is now in the playground area of the KDE svn
> > repository.  We hope to have Kolor Manager included in KDE 4.3.
> > Currently Oyranos has no support for CM configuration of printers (the
> > only devices that currently have full support are monitors) and this is
> > an area that needs to be addressed along with scanners and cameras.  The
> > KDE front end was written as part of GSoC 2008 and there were lengthly
> > discussions during that effort about how all these other devices should
> > be supported.  In particular printers generated lots of interest and
> > there is some preliminary code in Kolor Manager related to printer CM
> > configuration along with similar code for scanners.  Our hope is to
> > introduce printer support into Oyranos and Kolor Manager as the CM parts
> > of the printing work flow are being developed.
> >
> > Rendering intent in the color management context has a limited number of
> > options most of these are defined by the ICC and are to some extent
> > standardized.  These are absolute colorimetric (no white point
> > transformation), relative colorimetric (this causes a white point
> > transformation), perceptual and saturation intent.  For relative
> > colormetric intent users can also select black point compensation to help
> > reduce the loss of shadow details when the transform is going to a device
> > with reduced gamut compared to the document color space.  So there are
> > actually 5 rendering intents and all of these are supported by LCMS.  So
> > all that actually needs to happen is that users can select the intent and
> > this gets passed through to the *toraster filter so the the transform
> > uses the correct intent when it creates the raster that is passed to the
> > printer.   At present most document formats do not have a standardized
> > way of embedding this information.
> >
> > There is a need for user land applications to be able to discover the
> > printer color space(s) (IE. profiles) so that applications can do soft
> > proofing.
> >
> > RAW is NOT a color space as that term is used in the color management
> > world.
> >
> > Hal
>
> Thank you for your mail. You have sent it to me in private, but I prefer
> to discuss it on the printing-architecture mailing list, could we post
> your mail there to start the discussion?

Yes I can do that.  I was not too sure where I should send it so I kept it
private.

> So good to hear that the color correction

Color Management types would say "color space transform" rather than "color
correction" because this could also be doing things like taking an RGB (or XYZ
or Lab) document and converting it into CMYK or even deviceN output for the
printer.

> can be done completely on the
> server side.

Doing the transform on the server would be the preferred way to handle this.
Right now we are limited to doing this client side in the user land apps that
are sending output to the print server.  This means we only have color managed
printing in those apps that know how to do color managed printing which right
now is a very limited set of apps (probably less then a dozen total but I can
only think of three off hand and one of those is a specialized front end for
gutenprint).  Having this functionality on the server side means that even CM
dumb apps benefit once things are properly configured.

> A color-managed driver will then use an ICC profile in a
> standardized directory on the server and functions of a CM library to
> execute the color correction.  The PPD will have a "Rendering Intent"
> option with the choices mentioned in your mail, option and choices with
> standardized names for all printers. Option settings are passed to CUPS
> as IPP attributes and this way also the rendering intent gets to the
> driver. The driver will get all option settings by its command line.
> Perhaps color correction has too be better done by the renderer
> (Ghostscript or Poppler, Ghostscript preferred), as a raster image can
> have only one color space where as vector graphics, especially in PDF
> format, can have a separate color space for each object.

I think this assessment is correct.  In fact having this happen in the
*toraster rendering filter makes things much simpler for everyone since doing
this would eliminate the need to do any color management specific
modifications to the individual drivers and it would also centralize this
functionality in one place.  For example once GhostScript has been updated to
have an up to date CM implementation (I think we should have at least
development versions with this capability soon) and the new pdftoraster filter
is setup to handle CM the new pdf based printing work flow will have
functional CM for all apps using it, including apps that are not CM aware, no
matter what printer/driver is being used.

As a side note Poppler has now been patched with preliminary CM functionality
and the testing I did with it seemed to work OK.  So it might make sense to
continue to use Poppler for the common printing dialog since it's CM support
might be "good enough" for this use.

> The ICC profile of each print queue also needs to be downloadable by the
> clients via CUPS' http server facility, so that apps (or the Common
> Printing Dialog) can get them for soft proofing.

Currently the CUPS API allows client side apps to get a list of profiles that
are in cupsICCProfile lines in the PPD.  But there were several open issues
with the CUPS implementation the last time I checked.

1. If the CUPS server is not local there is no way to get the profile for soft
proofing.

2. CUPS only allows passing a user specified printer profile on the command
line if the profile is installed in a specific directory on the CUPS server
and there is no way in the general case for a client app to get a list of
these profiles or to get a copy of any of these profiles.

>     Till
>

> P. S.: Thank you for registering for the OpenPrinting Summit. You are
> welcome to attend and I am looking forward for the Color Management
> session.

That is why I registered.  I live with in commuting distance of the conference
which makes it fairly easy for me to attend.  So I guess that I will be the
OpenICC representative there and perhaps there will be others as well.