[Printing-architecture] Preview for CPD

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Thu Apr 16 07:45:48 PDT 2009

Peter, Till,

I believe my understanding from the print-summit was that the new CPD
would "always" preview the actual print content, which was based on
Peter's usability test results.  The concern I have is that the
potential processing in creating the preview would include the entire
print chain; even though the image is at a very low resolution.  This
level of processing has a potential large time delay.   If the End-User
starts making print option changes that affect the preview; the preview
image will have to be re-rendered, which may take too much time.

I would like to suggest that the CPD add and use, as the default, an
internal default image that illustrates the print intent and print
options but not the actual print content.  This would reduce potential
heavy processing for the actual print content preview.  However, the
user should be able to enable display of the actual print content and
willing to accept the potential time delay in creating the actual print
content.

glen