[Printing-architecture] [Printing-summit] Print Dialog: Preview Processing: Only A Question

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Wed Apr 22 10:36:27 PDT 2009

________________________________

From: Michael R Sweet [mailto:msweet at apple.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:29 AM
To: Petrie, Glen
Cc: printing-architecture at lists.linux-foundation.org;
printing-summit at lists.linux-foundation.org
Subject: Re: [Printing-summit] Print Dialog: Preview Processing: Only A
Question

On Apr 22, 2009, at 9:13 AM, Petrie, Glen wrote:

	[gwp]  I think I understand your point.  I would like to explore
the case where the app does the "layout" settings and, then, the print
dialog has "layout" settings.  What is your expectation if the app (like
OpenOffice Write) sets (and flows) the document to letter size; then the
print dialog offers "page size" attribute and the user now selects A4.
Would you expect the print dialog to send the info back to application
to reformat/reflow the document or clip letter content exceeding A4 or
scale the letter content (without calling the application) to fit A4.  I
guess I would you go with the last option....but I have seen the system
where letter formatted content is printed on 4x6 cards (silly I know) by
simply clipping the letter content to 4x6.  I had not seen any
implementation of calling back to the application.

	[gwp] Do we need to make a general policy on how to handle these
cases?

OK, here are some more Mac'isms...

Applications choose whether the page size chooser is displayed in the
print dialog. For page-based applications, it makes more sense for the
application to pre-select the page size and margins since the user is
formatting their document for that size. For other applications (email,
web browser, image viewer, etc.) it makes more sense for the page size
control to be in the print dialog since pages and page size have no
meaning unless you are printing.

[gwp] This is a perfect solution and I would like to encourage this idea
for OpenPrinting.