[Printing-architecture] [Printing-summit] Print Dialog:PreviewProcessing: Only A Question

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Fri Apr 24 13:10:22 PDT 2009

Thanks for clarification on the color management side of things.  My
concern is a little different, and is about whether or not Ghostscript
will dither/halftone the image independent or in connection with of CM.
But, if I understand correctly, Ghostscript will only dither/halftone if
requested.  So, for the case I was describing, the printer driver will
do the dither/halftoning along with conversion from color-to-inks and
print control language stuff.

This sounds like a good approach; printer drivers may not (maybe they
should not) worry about the complexities of CM; there are better
applications, filter, processes for that.  Printer driver, however,
should and need to focus on dither/halftone and color-to-inks processing
that is device dependent anyway.

Back to preview; the preview cares (may care) about the CM but
won't/can't care about the dither/halftone.  (I won't get into how
dither/halftone may affect the CM!!!).

glen

Behalf