[Printing-architecture] Vendor Extensions to the CPD

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Thu Jul 9 15:10:46 PDT 2009

All,

As print vendor, I will want to provide product differentiation that may
require providing unique controls to the dialog.  Yes, I understand that
PPD's are being extended to support some of this; but the CPD level of
controls may be insufficient to support unique and future features.
Therefore, I would like to purpose that an API (with guidelines) be
defined for vendors to add an additional "panel" to the right of level-3
control panel.  This vendor control panel would be would be implemented
by vendor specific code.

Another possible solution to this situation is to provide a button that
would invoke a vendor-specific dialog.  This is simpler.

In either case, there would have to be a mechanism by which level-3
control states/values could be change based on information from the
vendor-specific dialog or panel.

Glen