[Printing-architecture] Questions, Concern, Disscusion on CPD

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 14:08:19 PDT 2009

Hi,

I agree with every one of Glen's comments on CPD!
(mark this date on your calendars folks - smile)

In the CPD or *any* other part of Linux Printing System,
the MOST important aspect is to use printing industry
standard terms and options grouping.

All modern printing industry standards derive their
coherence from ISO Document Printing Application
(ISO 10175, early 1990s), including:

CIP4 JDF
- the basis of ALL production printing

IETF IPP
- the basis of CUPS and every modern spooler

OP JTAPI
- the coherent synthesis of JDF and IPP features

PWG Semantic Model
- comprehensive XML schema for all 18 IPP standards
  (used even in Microsoft WS-Print as a primary source)

With the publication of the First Edition of PWG IPP/2.0
(now in PWG Formal Vote until 31 July), a single reference
will cover most IETF and PWG IPP standards.

CUPS/1.4 already implements all of both IPP version 2.0
(workgroup) and version 2.1 (enterprise) conformance
requirements.

In the Second Edition of PWG IPP/2.0 later this year,
we will add IPP version 2.2 (production printing), and
coverage will extend to *every* IETF and PWG IPP
standard.

CPD designers and implementors - PLEASE pay careful
attention to the primary printing industry standards.

End users should NEVER have to waste their time
*understanding* a print dialog.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc