[Printing-architecture] Questions, Concern, Disscusion on CPD

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Mon Jul 13 12:51:25 PDT 2009

On Monday 13 July 2009 06:25:45 am Petrie, Glen wrote:
> I am not going to argue with you; you simply missed the point.

I don't think I missed the point.  Perhaps I didn't communicate my points
effectively and if so I apologize.  Let me try again.

In a round about way Glen asked how media characteristics and color management
were related and if color management was (or could be) used to tailor how
colorants were applied to the media based on media characteristics.

Referring how "color-to-ink processing" could/should be tailored to a specific
media Glen wrote:

"Note, I have not seen this kind of processing done in color-management
processing software."

I pointed out that this is in fact exactly what color management of printers
does and is designed to do.  And that using profiles and color management was
very specific about tailoring the colorant output to the media characteristics
(including the specific device and the device settings) since it did this
based on detailed media/device/device settings specific measurements.  How
could it possibly be more tailored then that?

Looking at the CUPS PPD extension documentation about the cupsICCProfile
keyword CUPS uses various bits of information including the media type and
resolution to select which output profile to use for a particular print job.
Unfortunately CUPS restricts this to three values that are used for this
selection process which is probably too restrictive to be as flexible as we
would like in actual practice.  But the current CUPS design, with in these
limits, does exactly the thing that Glen has "not seen done in color-
management processing software" by selecting different profiles, which means
different "color-to-ink processing", based on printer queue, color model,
media type and resolution settings.  To be clear my point is that using the
existing CUPS design users can set up color management in CUPS (once color
management aware *toraster filters are available) to do exactly the type of
processing Glen was talking about.  CUPS, in fact, does this on OS/X systems
using the OS/X proprietary color management aware *toraster filters and has
for a long time so we know it can work.

I also tried to point out some incorrect assumptions and terminology.  I did
this to try to clarify the subject since fuzzy terminology and incorrect
assumptions make for bad design.   I did not intend to be confrontational and
if I appeared to be let me apologize.

The incorrect assumptions and fuzzy terminology include:

1. Users could "easily find" paper "brightness" and "color" (media white
point?) "information on the cover of the media".  This is at best true in only
a limited number of cases and then only for "brightness" information.   I have
never seen a paper package or product sheet with  "color" information of any
kind.

In fairness to Genn, unlike most paper manufacturers, Epson papers do have
published ISO brightness specifications so I think the disagreement here is
over how common this is and how useful this information is.

2. There is an apparent assumption that this information is colorimetricaly
meaningful.  Some papers come with a stated brightness number but I have
measured some of these papers with a spectrophotometer and the stated
"brightness" does not appear to correspond to the measured colorimentric
values.  The stated "brightness" is usually significantly higher than the
measured L* value probably because of FWA enhancers. I found a research paper
about this on-line and these "brightness" values are in fact not colorimentric
and in it's Conclusion section it stated:

"Brightness is not a parameter related to color of substrate; actually it is
not even connected to its appearance. It is a number related to the color of
substrate viewed under a blue stained glass. Brightness is related to
reflectance values in a narrow region of the total visible spectra around 460
nm. Due to this limitation, values of brightness cannot be connected or
correlated to (white) appearance of pulp or manufactured paper, not even in
those cases where no FWAs are applied."*

* See www.axiphos.com/BrightnessReview.pdf

So these "brightness" numbers are in fact a measurement of the blue spectrum
(457 nm +- 44nm) reflectivity of the paper plus blue region florescence caused
by UV interaction with the FWA.

3. The assumption that the "brightness" and "color" information for these
media is of some use to the driver.

Even if colorimentricly meaningful white point and brightness information was
available on the media box or product specification sheet how would this be
used in a non-color managed work flow?

Would there be a place for users to enter this information so the driver would
know about it?

Are there any existing drivers that make use of this information on any
platform?

How would the driver use this information since it does not have access to
characterization data about how it's colorants interact with the media unless
there is an ICC profile available?   IE. unless detailed measurements had been
done.

If there is an ICC profile the media white point and "brightness" information
is already part of the profile and there is no reason for users to get this
information from the box even if this were available.

4. Use of the term "color" when Glen probably should have used a term like
"media white point" or "white point".  For color people the term color is not
very useful or even meaningful but white point has a very specific meaning.
Using the term color is like calling something a printer.  It tells us that
the device is a printer but it does not tell us anything specific about the
device where as calling something an Epson R2400 tells us a lot about the
device.

The problem Glen was describing in item E: is exactly the problem that color
management was designed to solve.  Why not use a tool set that is designed to
solve that problem rather than reinventing the wheel if the existing tool set
is not badly broken?  Admittedly there are currently issues with how this is
handled by CUPS on non-OS/X systems because of the lack of open source CM
aware *toraster filters.  But this issue is being worked on and will
eventually be resolved.

Hal