[Printing-architecture] Common Printing Dialog: Print to (PDF) file

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 02:52:06 PDT 2009

Hi,

the final design planning is that all applications should have "Export
to PDF ..." in their file menus (like OpenOffice.org) with a dedicated
dialog, similar to the CPD but yet to be designed by OpenUsability.

As this will take time and the current Qt and GTK printing dialogs
contain a "Print to File" facility which appears as an extra print
queue, we should implement such a "Print to File" queue also in the
Common Printing dialog, so that we get it quickly into the distros
without having a regression due to this feature missing.

For the implementation note that the current dialogs do not send the job
into a CUPS queue for "Print to File" (we do not use facilities like the
cups-pdf package). "Print to File" opens a "Save as ..." dialog when
clicking on "Print" in the printing dialog. Then the user chooses where
to put his file. This process is completely done by the printing dialog
running as the calling user, nothing done by CUPS for it. At least GTK
allows to choose between PostScript and PDF for such a file. For your
implementation PDF would be the most important, PostScript can perhaps
be dropped if it makes it too complicated.

It would be great if you could implement that in the Common Printing
Dialog, ideally with a possibility for the application to suppress this
feature (Lars, perhaps this needs an additional boolean parameter in the
CPDAPI).

With this we will really be feature-complete.

As soon as the print-to-file dialog design is completed and it makes it
into most applications, we can drop this feature from the printing
dialog again.