[Printing-architecture] Epson Question on the Common Print Dialog

kate price kate at mmiworks.net
Fri Feb 19 04:03:55 PST 2010

Dear Glen

Thanks for getting the CPD out there in Epsom, naturally all feedback
and questions are welcomed by us.
Til has already replied I know, but it's worth giving you some more
answers from the perspective of us here at mmi-works, who are
developing the UI.

> 	• Does the CPD support Watermarks?
> 		• I remember this being there at some point but it could be
> confirmed.

Just as an appendage to Til's comments; we have developed aUI for
watermarking in the CPD. please see: http://wiki.openusability.org/printing/index.php/Personal_laser_parameter_specifications#Watermarking
   for details

> 	• How does the CPD support the connection between borderless print
> mode and media size/type.
> 	• Not all media sizes and media types are designed to support
> borderless mode; is there a mechanism to handle this.

We have created a new control (or actually set of controls called
Print On. This integrates media type, media size  margins and color
management into one inter-related group. Borderless printing comes as
part of margins. We have created generic margin sizes - one of which
can easily be "none" "minimum" or a term of your choice.

We felt there were a couple major of issues here:

*ensuring that borders  -i.e.  drawn borders and "border-less
printing" i.e. minimum or no margins, were not able to be confused
*allowing specific feature names can be integrated here, whilst
keeping it clear that margin sizes are always related to media type
and size - literally what users are printing on.
*not forgetting that manufacturers will have the capacity to create
tags which can big up unique printer features, whilst enabling  users
to put together successful prints, for example there could be an "up
to the edge" printing tag.

see http://wiki.openusability.org/printing/index.php/Photo_printers_parameter_specifications#Print_On_-_Media_Type_and_Size

> 	• How will the CPD allow vendors to display printer status, toner
> (ink) levels, job status and support printing maintenance items like
> nozzle check, nozzle clean and head alignment?
> 		• Is there a vendor zone or pane (panel) for this?

Actually, we are currently working on an icon to be shown next to the
printer selection pop-up which will open all the relevant maintenance
info.
Here we see a low ink warning icon also being appropriate, though not
in any specific detail on the actual level 2/3 CPD pane.

The maintenance icon will open a new dialog pane, which can include
all the maintenance information Manufacturers require, including the
relevant images, user instructions or guides that are existence. We
are therefore designing in a neat, visible and immediate way for users
to access all the information manufacturers wish to provide relating
to the chosen printer, directly from the CPD.

I will be updating the wiki with this addition in the next week or so
so watch this space:
http://wiki.openusability.org/printing/index.php/Level_2_Dialog_zones_and_content#Printer_Zone

> 	• Does changing the media size in the CPD “reflow” the document or
> simple scale (perhaps with clip) the document content to the
> selected media size in the CPD.
> 		• That is, an application (via the user) sets the document page
> size (say letter) while the CPD (via the user) specifies the print
> media size of the document page to be A4; in which case, the letter
> sized content is scaled (maintaining aspect ratio) to A4.

As Til wrote, generally media size changes by the user are always
retransformed by the application. However, if the app has a page size
concept it can set the values when the CPD launches. Advanced: the app
would suppress the CPD controls and add it's own.

Best wishes,

Kate

mmi works