[Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting Summit 2010 Action Items

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Wed Apr 21 14:30:22 PDT 2010

These are the action items I captured.

Please make corrections as needed.

Please make additions as needed.

Please make identify obsolete action items

Send any changes to me and I will update the action items until we have
reached agreement.

Action Items are in no particular order.

1.      (Till) Send note to print-vendors requesting them to always
including 1284.4 string in any future PPD file.

2.      (Till) Send note to print-vendors requesting the requirements
and needs of CUPS backend for their products.  This is includes any
bi-directional needs, status/monitoring needs and MFD support.  The goal
is to create a new CUPS backend to eliminate current customized backends
from individual print-vendors

3.      (Till) ? Work with LSB parties to add SANE to the LSB.

4.      (TBD) Create a document to standardize Tags and Properties used
by the CPD.   Document to be a joint effort between print-vendors,
OpenPrinting and Open Usability interested parties.  Document will serve
as the defacto standards for the CPD tags and properties.  (Should the
group include principle applications, desktops, and/or distro's?)

5.      (Till) When sending a driver request to a print-vendor site,
include the target OS and OS version.

6.      (Till) Segment the OpenPrinting Repository between

a.      Main - Free and Not Free

b.      Contrib - Free and Not Free

7.      (Till) For packages with have no binaries, there should be no
LSB dependencies.

8.      (Till) Post bug report on the OpenPrint Web about jockey (sorry
did not capture the what)

9.       (Till) Inquire whether Ubuntu supports package-kit?

10.  (TDB) Determine "who" should provide funding of all phases of the
CPD activity

a.      print-vendors?

b.      Desktops?

c.      distro's?