[Printing-architecture] Any news regarding colour management?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Jan 6 02:18:53 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 11:10 +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> If the PPD shall not be changed, for what needs CUPS to interact
> with a external daemon? It is already now possible to fetch the PPD from
> CUPS. We do this in the CUPS ICC module for Oyranos for instance.
>
> How shall the CMS and CUPS interact in your plans?

The pstoraster print filter will retrieve the correct ICC file and tell
ghostscript to use it.

> >> Do you plan or write a generic C interface any system or independent
> >> application can have access to?
> >
> > Yes, colord already has a D-Bus interface.
>
> DBUS is not a C interface. As well many applications will reject to use
> D-Bus as its is overkill. I would not consider it an appropriate
> replacement for a generic C interface.

Well, yes, you could write it as a proper asynchronous C interface, but
you would have to reinvent a lot of stuff.  Then if you want to run it
from a shell script or from some other language, you'd need to write a
command line front-end or language bindings.

But with D-Bus, it is already callable from C, Python, the shell, etc,
synchronously or asynchronously.

Tim.
*/