[Printing-architecture] Common Printing Dialog and color management

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 09:05:26 PST 2011

On 24 February 2011 15:36, peter sikking <peter at mmiworks.net> wrote:
> both KDE and GNOME will happily take the patches.

I'm afraid that just isn't true for GNOME. I work quite a bit on GTK
and GNOME (my boss is Matthias Clasen...), and I can tell you that
there would be no way such a non-standard looking dialog would be
merged into such a core part of the toolkit. There would have to be a
very compelling reason to move the printer dialog out of process as
this would greatly complicate the printing process. It would also be a
massive API and ABI break, and considering GTK3 has just released, I
see quite unlikely.

> there is a lot of enthusiasm for it at both platforms.

But no contributors? No upstream commits in 5 years?

> about the HIG: in the spec you are looking at is a KDE/GNOME agnostic
> meta spec, the implementation is done for KDE and GNOME separately,
> fully HIG-compliant.

It's not a meta-spec, it's a Human Interface Guideline specific to the
GNOME desktop. If we're making a CPD implementation to work to the
GNOME HIG, it's not going to look anything like the CPD implementation
for KDE. So then we're just left with a DBus interface that can't
actually do anything much more than we could before.

>> So basically, I'm not sure what the CPD buys us. Looking at
> I am not sure what you mean exactly. please be a bit more
> precise about what you do not see working, from which perspective
> (technical, color workflows, or something else).

These are my three target users: http://colord.hughsie.com/profiles.html

None of these people would be able to choose an option from a dropdown
just listing the ICC filenames by filename. And they shouldn't have to
when we can map from qualifier to icc profile automatically...

Richard.