[Printing-architecture] Common Printing Dialog and color management

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Feb 24 09:34:11 PST 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 10:05 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:

> It's not a meta-spec, it's a Human Interface Guideline specific to the
> GNOME desktop. If we're making a CPD implementation to work to the
> GNOME HIG, it's not going to look anything like the CPD implementation
> for KDE. So then we're just left with a DBus interface that can't
> actually do anything much more than we could before.

I think the CPD in the wiki is meant to be a very rudimentary mockup to provide a visual is all. I don't think it's meant to be fixed in stone. Naturally it needs to fit into the HIG for Gnome and KDE independently, and be conscious of how it would be presented on mobile platforms one day in the near future as well. So it can't be using 95% white space like the mockups do. To me, it's understood because it's unworkable as a fixed layout.

>>> So basically, I'm not sure what the CPD buys us. Looking at
>> I am not sure what you mean exactly. please be a bit more
>> precise about what you do not see working, from which perspective
>> (technical, color workflows, or something else).
>
> These are my three target users: http://colord.hughsie.com/profiles.html
>
> None of these people would be able to choose an option from a dropdown
> just listing the ICC filenames by filename. And they shouldn't have to
> when we can map from qualifier to icc profile automatically...

Agreed. Also I'll point out we shouldn't list ICC profiles by filename anyway. They have internal names and that's what the user should see. If you have rollovers that show a URI for where this profile is located, that could show filename.

Chris Murphy