[Printing-architecture] Common Printing Dialog and color management

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Feb 24 09:52:39 PST 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 10:46 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:

> On 24 February 2011 17:41, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>> ...and not "auto assign" which just makes me want to poke myself in the eye with a stick.
>
> Heh, you made me laugh out loud.. :-)

It's more sensible to put "No Idea" everywhere you'd see "Automatic".

>> Not a bad punt for now actually....might be best to just leave CMYK untouched.
>
> Yup, that was my strategy too.

It's consistent with Windows and Mac OS also. *shrug* And that's not a bad thing in this instance.

>> I'm thinking of users. Not rational beings.
>
> Fair point, but even non-rational beings shouldn't have to understand
> what a fallback profile is used for.

No, I don't know that it makes sense to spin precious engineering cycles on them either. That's why I'm not a fan of this distinction of "low end, mid end, high end" user and all the different paths and behaviors this implies coding for. I think you build one path, one set of logical structures, it includes all the users. Even a high end user can be a low end user when they print to a color laser printer and don't care about super accuracy. And even a low end user wants to start out with prints that don't look like dog crap out of the gate before they choose some option to make it look "better".

Chris