[Printing-architecture] Ubuntu Natty the first distribution which does automatic download of binary printer driver packages

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 04:40:45 PST 2011

On 02/25/2011 08:00 AM, yuji.saito at avasys.jp wrote:
> By the way, system-config-printer became 1.3.1, and it disabled debug
> option "-setup-printer" and "--devid". (It's not a bug but inconvenience
> for developer, I think.) Therefore I tested with the actual printer.
> But system-config-printer didn't start when I plugged the printer.

Tim, is there a new way to test the driver selection and
automatic-download for a given device ID without needing to modify the
code of system-config-printer and without having the appropriate printer
physically? Or do I need to re-develop this feature?

I (and also the driver-issuing manufacturers) need this feature. Can you
tell us (please use "Reply to all") how to proceed? Thanks.