[Printing-architecture] Ubuntu Natty the first distribution which does automatic download of binary printer driver packages

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 05:03:21 PST 2011

On 02/25/2011 08:00 AM, yuji.saito at avasys.jp wrote:
> On Feb 18, I upgraded the system and tested automatic-download in the
> proxy environment.  But it failed. When I checked the cause of
> problem, it seems to be the problem not only in the system but also in
> my test environment.  Now I am still investigating.
>
> By the way, system-config-printer became 1.3.1, and it disabled debug
> option "-setup-printer" and "--devid". (It's not a bug but inconvenience
> for developer, I think.) Therefore I tested with the actual printer.
> But system-config-printer didn't start when I plugged the printer.

The printer recognition not working for your printer(s) is a bug and so
we need to fix it. So I need all details about the detection process. So
please go to

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems

and follow especially the instructions of the sections:

- USB printer
- CUPS error_log

If the printer is network-connected (LAN, WLAN) you have to start
system-config-printer manually (System -> Administration -> Printing),
click the "Add" button, and choose the printer on the first screen of
the add-printer wizard (open the secion for network printers and wait
~15 sec for the network scan).

Independent whether the printer is on USB or on the network, also run
system-config-printer from the command line with

system-config-printer --debug

click "Add", choose the printer and click "Forward". Complete the
add-printer wizard, independent whether a driver download happens or
not, and send the output in the terminal window (use "Reply to all").

Also attach your /var/log/syslog file, to see logs of the hot-plugging
of your printer.