[Printing-architecture] Ubuntu Natty the first distribution which does automatic download of binary printer driver packages

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 14:03:49 PST 2011

Saito-san,

for testing the automatic driver download on current Natty, please
update to the current state of the system, via

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and then apply the patch attached to my previous mail using the commands:

cd /usr/share/system-config-printer/
sudo patch -p1 <
0001-Activated-and-fixed-testing-mode-for-device-ID-drive.patch

Then do tests by running the commands:

cupsctl FileDevice=yes
cd /usr/share/system-config-printer/
python newprinter.py --setup-printer=file:/tmp/printout
--devid="MFG:Epson;MDL:Stylus NX110;"

Try device IDs of different Epson printers and see whether the
appropriate driver downloads. Especially test also in environments where
the internet is only accessible through a proxy.

    Till