[Printing-architecture] Google Summer of Code 2011 - Nice project, who wants to mentor it?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 13:14:28 PDT 2011

Hi,

the following application with a project idea from a student has
arrived. I would much like that this project will get turned reality. It
is not one of our work which needs to be done urgently, but it is also
something useful. And the student needs it for his department, so
another motivation which counts in.

So I want to ask all of you, who would like to step up as a mentor for
this project?

    Till

P.S.: Please register as mentor for the Linux Foundation on
http://www.google-melange.com/ if you want to participate in the
selection process or if you want to actually mentor.

----------

Ticketed Print Monitoring System
--------------------------------

Samantha Christoff

Email: firebirdy4 at gmail dot com

Mentor: No mentor assigned

Possible mentors: ???

Short description: Implement a monitored print server in CUPS to allow
graduate students and faculty to print to a network of laser printers
with a ticketed system hooked up to a monitor server with a front end
GUI available on all platforms. This is in order to set printing limits
and to meet budget constraints on toner and paper.
Google Summer of Code Application

Name: Samantha Christoff

University: Arizona State University, dual majoring in Physics and
Philosophy, currently a Sophomore

Short Biography:I am a twenty year old pink haired motivated programmer,
physicist, philosopher, pop star, with a lot of problems to solve and a
lot of math to do it with. I freelance in most of my work and have
experience with platforms up and down the board, recently, C++, Grails,
and jQuery. I’m a list oriented person who is a bit messy when it comes
to keeping office space. You can say I’m a Highly motivated, workaholic
with a passion for coffeecake, open source, differential equations and
shoes.

IRC Nickname: FinalPhoenix

Platforms:

             1. MacBook Pro 2011 Core i7 8gbs RAM 500gb HDD running
MacOSX/Windows  7

2. iMac 24” Summer 2009 8gb RAM  320GB HDD running Ubuntu 10.10/Arch

Pertinent Languages: C, C++, PHP, CSS, HTML5, jQuery

Relevant Experience: I code in C and C++ for various academic programs
for Physicists and Psychologists, modeling electron microscopy and
emergent systems. I use CSS, PHP, HTML5, and jQuery every day for
various web design and development work.

Involvement in the Open Source Community: This will be my first major
Open Source Project, I have been a freeloader in the past and would like
to correct that.

Development Idea and Implementation: The idea came from my actual day
job. I manage servers and labs at Arizona State University at Coor Hall
in the Geography and Urban Planning Department. Due to state budget cuts
we have been forced to rely more and more on open source software,
however those budget cuts have also affected how much paper and ink we
can buy. These budget cuts are felt by most of the faculty, however, the
grad students are largely unaware. Our graduate students are good people
from all over the world, but they love printing. They love printing so
much that they’re bleeding us dry. Often the graduate students will
print entire textbooks on laser printers, ten or so copies of 200 page
theses, etc. This has become a very big problem and I am supposed to
solve it. If I can create a ticketed, monitored print system with user
accounts. I can stop these ink-hungry graduate students and perhaps save
the day, and the department from further measures like taking on less
graduate students, or even worse, cutting the IT budget.

Expected Achievement:  Create a ticketed, monitored linux print server
with a web user interface for both administrators and users on all
platforms.

Why I am suited for this project: I have been involved in the Linux
community for five years, and a member of the Linux Users Group at ASU
for two. I would like to finally make Linux print servers viable for
large organizations and make Linux a friendly way to go in the office. I
am well versed in coding in the specific languages needed and C/C++ were
part of the first languages I learned six years ago. I have to solve
this problem, and I would like the support of the Open Source Community
to not only save my department from further measures, but to help other
people in similar situations.

Invested Time: I will be contributing 40 hours a week or more to this
problem as it is urgent to the success of my department. Not only is my
day job allowing me to do this, but I will be most likely doing the real
extensive testing at home in my own environment.

Rough Schedule of Project Subtasks:

First two weeks – Planning and Research into the CUPS platform and
similar closed source ticketing systems

Seven Weeks – Developing and Implementing a ticket based system to be
interpreted by job (i.e. File Name, Size, Number of Pages, When it was
printed, from what IP) and sent to a monitoring server where each job is
recorded. These jobs will be sent to a database.

Six Weeks – Developing a user database to match up to ticketing system
in order to set print limits on users, know which user printed what and
how many, etc.

Three Weeks – Developing and Designing a front and back end GUI
accessible through the web available on all platforms (Mac/PC/Linux)  in
order to install print drivers, see jobs, progress towards page limit,
and a back end for administration use, such as a print out of the
requested jobs for each printer, who is at their print limit, how many
pages are going through each printer, etc.

Two weeks – Debugging, Testing, Implementing.