[Printing-architecture] Nokia is loaning out N950 devkits, I've applied, does anyone else have meego hardware?

Hal V. Engel hvengel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 15:47:42 PDT 2011

On Tuesday, June 21, 2011 02:01:18 PM Daniel Dressler wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I noticed today that Nokia is taking applications for N950 devkits. This
> devkit is special because it runs Meego. Meego being a purer linux stack vs
> android.
>
> My thoughts being that a hardware meego device would be helpful for CPD on
> mobile and I would like to investigate the meego printing stack. Personally
> I want to see Meego succeed because it is very similar to linux as we know
> on it on the desktop and as such the development environment is very
> similar to what you would use for QT on the desktop.
>
> Nokia is offering these units with the intention of filling the meego app
> store. I have an application that is almost ready to be shipped so I've
> applied for a load unit hopfully that is good enough to get a unit.
>
> I know Intel had dev units of native meego hardware a while ago, did anyone
> get one of these? Has anyone had contact with the meego project or
> experience with their printing stack?
>
> Daniel

I have had a little contact with Intel's Meego team manager but I do not have
any technical details.  I am under the impression that Intel sort of backed
away from meego when Nokia went with WinPhone.  I do know that Intel stopped
hiring programmers to work on meego about that time.

I would expect that the printing stack at the UI level is the more or less
stock Qt components but the lower levels of that stack I don't know.  I am
under the impression that the Intel/Nokia deal was that Intel would do all of
the apps and UI stuff and Nokia would do all of the systems stuff.

Hal

Hal