[Printing-architecture] Printing in Qt/KDE

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 22 22:49:12 UTC 2011

Hi,

Apologies for not being very responsive on list to the follow up to the
printing summit and CPD, other priorities intervened.

You may have heard that Qt have decided the forthcoming Qt 4.8 release will be
the last in the Qt4 series and will be followed by Qt5, the first release
under the new OpenGovernance development model.  I've just got back from the
Qt Contributors Summit where the plans for Qt5 were discussed, including what
to do with printing.  You can see some notes from the meeting at
http://developer.qt.nokia.com/groups/qt_contributors_summit/wiki/Printing

In summary, Qt do not have the developer resources to make feature changes to
printing, but are happy for the community to contribute new features.  For Qt5
the existing Qt Printing code will moved into a separate module and put into
support mode to allow the community to develop a replacement printing module
for inclusion into Qt 5.1 or 5.2.  Basically we've been given a clean sheet
for designing a new cross-platform api and feature set, but using the old code
as a starting point.  Obviously CPD will come into consideration in the design
process.

I plan to start work on this in about 2-3 months after some other Qt5 tasks
are completed.  If anyone is interested in working on this, or has ideas on a
nice api and class structure I'd be happy to hear from them.

Moving on to the CPD briefly, I was looking at the api for applications adding
extra options to the dialog and it looks like it will be insufficent for
current KDE applications that add complex option widgets.  For an example see
Gwenview's 'Image Settings' tab.  I'm not sure there's any way such complex
requirements could be met using a generic DBus api or cross-toolkit dialog.

Cheers!

John.