[Printing-architecture] Agenda OP US/Europe - Wednesday 14 September 2011

Daniel Dressler danieru.dressler at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 04:35:31 UTC 2011

Hello

(4) I will not be able to attend due to a comp sci class so I should report
this now. Not much to report. Till passed me and all the code is where it
should be. I have two improvements I've assigned myself but I haven't worked
on them
yet.

One thing I would like put up for discussion is if the windows (or mac)
printer api wrapper project should be included in our wishlist. It is
currently the most ambitious project on the list and I think it should be
removed for the following reasons:
-. It is outside openprinting's current development projects (jtapi and CPD)
and our maintenance responsibilities.
-. I would question the feasibility of this project both in the existence of
a suitable student and the timeframe.
-. This project was proposed several years ago, we was the last time we
confirmed the availability of the menor and co-mentor?
-. No one has taken it after 3 years, I do not think it is healthy for us to
roll it over to a fourth year.

I do not want to delete something for deletions sake but I do not think that
keeping this project on our wishlist helps us. Imagine if we did get the
prime canidate, familier with window's api and linux's and with decent C(++)
chops, would we not prefer him working on CPD or Jtapi?

Beyond that, do we want to dedicate resources on a project that rewards
vendors for not supporting linux, instead of improving the native linux
experience for users and vendors?

Now sorry for the rant, really I just want approval from openprinting to
remove the project from our wishlist. It has been up for years with no
progress, and as time goes on the existence of a suitable student grows ever
dimmer. We have valuable projects that require manpower, our wishlist should
focus on those or projects that will improve vendor support.

Speaking of the vendor support projects, has anyone thought of anything? If
I remember right we needed something that would help debug issues in
userspace programs. Do we know what sorts of issues epson encountered
creating their LSB drivers? Has there been any progress with cannon and
brother?

Daniel