[Printing-architecture] Moving CUPS filters to OpenPrinting

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 18:07:59 UTC 2011

Hi,

Mike Sweet intends to remove the filters which are not used by Mac OS X
from the CUPS upstream package:

http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3930

We have agreed on this on the last OpenPrinting Summit and the filters
will be continued and hosted by OpenPrinting. In addition, the filters
for the PDF printing workflow will not be adopted by CUPS but joined
with the CUPS filters we overtake.

All Linux distributions would have to include this new CUPS filters
package then to get CUPS continuing to work and have the same feature
set as before.

Due to the fact that this package will use the PDF workflow by default
and that all major desktop applications send their print jobs already in
PDF, this will complete the implementation of PDF as standard print job
format. See also my updated web page:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/pdfasstandardprintjobformat

By this, we also do not need to get a copyright/license agreement
between the developers of the PDF filters and Apple.

We can start hosting the CUPS filters as soon as our BZR repositories
for OpenPrinting will be back. In the CUPS project these filters are
already separated into their own branch, we only need to import them
from their SVN into our BZR.

We also need a name for the package. Should we call it simply
"cups-filters"? Or "op-cups-filters"? Or do we rename Foomatic to
openprinting and have the packages

- openprinting-db
- openprinting-db-nonfree
- openprinting-db-engine
- openprinting-rip
- openprinting-cups-filters

Note that we keep foomatic-rip/openprinting-rip separate from the CUPS
filters as this filter is a universal filter which also works with many
other printing systems.

Another decision to make is whether we really should maintain all the
filters which get over to us from CUPS or whether we should discontinue
some. The filter set will contain "imageto..." and "textto..." filters
which are not made use of by the usual desktop applications, they send
all PDF (and some send PostScript). Alternatively, these filters could
be made optional.