[Printing-architecture] Moving CUPS filters to OpenPrinting

Daniel Dressler danieru.dressler at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 18:38:06 UTC 2011

Hello

I think we should keep foomatic-* as is, if only to avoid user confusion.

Overall openprinting-cups-filters is a good name and can be extended to an
optional package easily, e.g. openprinting-cups-filters-extra, cannot really
go wrong with it.

The only downsides I can think of is that it is verbose and just a bit,
plain.

There is another source of options, in line with CUPS, CPD, CMPD we could
call it CFS* ( Common Filter Set ) or CPF ( Common Printing Filters ) or
CCUPSFS (Common Common Unix Printing Spooler Filter Set).

But perhaps my favourite: CUFS ( Common Unix Filter Set), it may not mention
the cups specific nature of the filters but what we lose in description we
make up for in branding, it is a pronounceable word!**

Daniel

*Already taken =\
**In English at least.