[Printing-architecture] Printing in Qt/KDE

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Mon Oct 31 16:56:11 UTC 2011

Hi John,

I reviewed the QPrinter Class Reference information.  While it appears
that most of the objects, attributes and values needed for printing are
present; I don't see that they align with existing and emerging
standards today; specifically, the PWG.

The PWG has had IPP and is now creating the PWG: Job Ticket (which
contains the objects, attributes and values) for printing.  Companies
like Google, Apple, etc have stated or hinted they will be supporting
the PWG standards and the Job Ticket.  Therefore, an area for
consideration is for QPrinter to align and extend the current printing
specific enum's to be more inline with the PWG Standards/Specifications.
I have not check if any new QPrinter enum's or functions are needed to
support the above standards; but it is another area for consideration.

Next, the print paradigm is shifting from print/printer drivers to print
services.   This further implies that a print service now receives a
"print job" which consist of a print job ticket and print content (print
document, if you like).   Like Adobe's Acrobat application which can
generate a JDF Job Ticket, another area of consideration is for QPrinter
to generate a "print job"; consisting of a print job ticket and print
content.   This also helps to support Cloud Printing.   I do understand
that the QPrinter::paintEngine could provide this functionality but
having the functionality built directly in to QPrinter, eliminates
developer having to recreate it.

Glen