[Printing-architecture] OP Monthly Minutes (1 February 2012)

Daniel Dressler danieru.dressler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 18:02:26 UTC 2012

Hello Everyone

I have good news! Last year I mentioned that I would like to implement
JTAPI this summer if no one else did it before then.

I still want to do that!

I might email the jtapi mailing list closer to the summer to ask for
suggestions, I've read the jtapi spec what else should I read?

PS:

Since there appeared to be some confusion arround open source terms I feel
compelled to give a summery.

Free software is a term forwarded by the Free Software Foundation ( Richard
Stalman and GPL)
The Free Software Foundation argues that free software is a moral issue,
that it is wrong to not let a user control their computer.
The end game for the FSF is that people no longer keep code secret. As one
can imagine since the major point of BSD like licenses is to allow things
to be taken secret, Free Software proponents do *not* like BSD licenses.

Open source is a term introduced by The Open Source Initiative ( Eric
Raymond )
The Open Source Initiative argues that open source is a better development
method and does not argue that it is a moral issue.
The term open source is supposed to be less confusing than Free ( as in
freedom) software.

Then there are Liberal Licenses (MIT/ three clause BSD) these are meant to
be more corporate friendly.

It is a complicated subject but we do have terms that can be unambiguous.

PPS: foomatic uses libxml2 as well. Please do not write a new xml parser.
Here is a list of xml pasers and their licenses:
http://lars.ruoff.free.fr/xmlcpp/ It appears that "expat" would fit our
goals (small, written in C, and under MIT).