[Printing-architecture] OP Monthly Minutes (1 February 2012)

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Thu Feb 2 18:15:28 UTC 2012

Daniel,

I might have some stuff related to JTAPI; if so, I will send to you.

p.s.

There have been endless debates on free, open, liberal, foo, xyz and any
other kind license you can think of.   To date, OpenPrinting has decided
to use either MIT or CPL (CPL has actually been replaced Eclipse Public
License (EPL)).

Reason:  No printer vendor to date will use GPL and, in most cases, will
not use LGPL due the legal issues.   For example, my work practice is to
never examine or review any GPL code.   Therefore, since OpenPrinting
wants print vendors and others to use the code they develop, it was
decided that all code must be CPL/EPL or at least MIT or BSD.  As
always, there have been exceptions; but, again, printer vendors will not
use code with these exceptions (so what the use in putting such code
under non-useful licenses).

Glen