[Printing-architecture] pdftopdf

Koji Otani sho at bbr.jp
Tue Mar 6 06:01:26 UTC 2012

From: Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 16:15:10 +0100

till.kamppeter> On 03/05/2012 01:14 PM, Tim Waugh wrote:
till.kamppeter> > On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 11:33 +0900, Koji Otani wrote:
till.kamppeter> >> Sorry, I'm not good at English.
till.kamppeter> >
till.kamppeter> > Your English is fine. :-)
till.kamppeter> >
till.kamppeter> >> It seemes that poppler provides parsing and rendering PDF.
till.kamppeter> >> pdftopdf needs modifying PDF such as number-up, duplicating pages ,
till.kamppeter> >> inserting empty pages, scaling pages, embedding fonts and producing
till.kamppeter> >> PDF.
till.kamppeter> >> When I began to develop poppler, I considered about various things
till.kamppeter> >> such as limited time, cost, etc. And I decided that I developed
till.kamppeter> >> pdftopdf
till.kamppeter> >> outside of poppler. (Developing pdftopdf was funded by a Japanese
till.kamppeter> >> governmental
till.kamppeter> >> organization)
till.kamppeter> >> It may be ok for poppler to include these features as you say.
till.kamppeter> >> I would appreciate it if you put these features into poppler.
till.kamppeter> >
till.kamppeter> > Thanks for explaining.  If poppler doesn't currently expose enough to
till.kamppeter> > allow pdftopdf to do what it needs to then some work is needed to
till.kamppeter> > change
till.kamppeter> > that, in order to avoid duplication of bugs.
till.kamppeter> >
till.kamppeter> > Who knows the pdftopdf/poppler code well enough to do this?
till.kamppeter> >
till.kamppeter> > Do we know anyone on the poppler development team who could guide us
till.kamppeter> > as
till.kamppeter> > to what sort of changes they will accept?
till.kamppeter> >
till.kamppeter>
till.kamppeter> Otani-san, can you provide a list of features which need to get
till.kamppeter> exposed in Poppler so that you can implement the pdftopdf and
till.kamppeter> pdftoopvp filters without code duplication? Please CC Albert Astals
till.kamppeter> Cid (CCed in this mail) when answering.
till.kamppeter>
till.kamppeter> Albert, could you help us in making more secure and
till.kamppeter> distribution-friendly PDF print filters by adding some APIs to
till.kamppeter> Poppler?
till.kamppeter>

We already asked Albert to expose some APIs for pdftoopvp, and he
exposed them for us.
Except a few codes,
Essence of this issue is whether we add new features and codes to
poppler not exposing internal APIs, I think.