[Printing-architecture] [Printing-summit] OPS Preparationminutes (28 March 2012)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 15:12:18 UTC 2012

Hi Glen,

I agree with you that the *3rd* use case is a Client producing
JDF and and PrintService converting it to PJT w/ JTAPI.

But the other two use cases (I think the dominant ones)
don't involve ANY conversion:

(1) Client builds an abstract job ticket using JTAPI and says
write it out to a given format.

(2) PrintService accepts that concrete job ticket and parses
it w/ JTAPI and uses the JTAPI parsed attributes as input
to the Scheduler and Interpreter subunits to process the
job.

Your  3rd use case of conversion of formats can't be
demonstrated without at least 2 backends - it's harder,
not simpler.

For all I care there's a reference only backend that writes
out (and reads in/parses) only an internal C struct form
of a job ticket.

Or writes out MJT, but it That intellectual property and
status issues - the spec is PWG copyrighted and it's
a whitepaper, not an approved PWG project (that is, we
CANNOT modify MJT w/out PWG permission).

WDYT?

Cheers,
- Ira

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com