[Printing-architecture] IPP Everywhere: How to make CUPS queue so that applications can use these printers

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 18:49:42 UTC 2013

Hi,

on today's OpenPrinting conference call Ira told that first IPP
Everywhere printers will get available on the market.

I am thinking about use of IPP Everywhere printers with Linux. There are
two questions:

1. How to print from a Linux machine to an IPP Everywhere printer?

The intention of IPP Everywhere printers is that they get available to
clients without any client-side configuration or driver. Now ho am I
supposed to implement this on a Linux machine so that the available IPP
Everywhere printers appear in the print dialogs (GTK, Qt, LibreOffice)
of the applications and the user-settable options for the printers get
shown in the dialog? Am I supposed to set up a CUPS queue? Do I have to
generate a PPD file somehow (or is CUPS providing a virtual PPD file)?
Or is it the full responsibility of the print dialog (no CUPS daemon
needed) to browse the printer's Bonjour broadcasts, to read out the
options from the IPP attributes and display the appropriate options?
Probably I will need a local CUPS queue so that the application's PDF
goes through pdftopdf and if the printer is not a PDF printer also
through pdftoraster and rastertopwg? How do I tell to the CUPS queue to
use these filters when it has no PPD file?

2. How to make a Linux CUPS server emulate IPP Everywhere?

Another use case for IPP Everywhere is having a Linux machine running
CUPS and with a conventional (non-IPP Everywhere) printer connected via
network or USB and a CUPS queue with driver and PPD (HPLIP, Gutenprint,
PostScript, etc.). Now I have a mobile device or TV set (Android,
Windows Phone, ...) which supports printing on IPP Everywhere printers.
How do I make CUPS emulate IPP Everywhere, so that the shared CUPS
queues appear like IPP Everywhere printers? Or does CUPS do this already?