[Printing-architecture] Some suggestions for the DNS-SD (Bonjour) printer support in the dialog

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri May 17 07:21:31 UTC 2013

On 05/17/2013 07:32 AM, Michael Sweet wrote:

> cups-browsed is an interesting stop-gap solution, but I really, *really* don't think you want to be doing what you are doing - resolving a printer will wake it up.  Doing it on every computer will cause a LOT of network traffic and generally NOT provide a good user experience.

What cups-browsed is doing is as soon as avahi-daemon reports an IPP
printer check whether it is a CUPS queue or a network printer and in the
case of a network printer do a get-printer-attributes IPP request. This
does not wake up my printers out of sleep mode. The printers tested here are

- HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910
- HP LaserJet P3005
- HP Color LaserJet CM3530 MFP

Also the printers get polled only once, not repeatedly, either when
cups-browsed starts or when the printer is turned on.