[Printing-architecture] Some suggestions for the DNS-SD (Bonjour) printer support in the dialog

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri May 17 14:23:38 UTC 2013

Marek,

On 2013-05-17, at 6:07 AM, Marek Kasik <mkasik at redhat.com> wrote:

> thank you for your suggestions. I'll think about the best solution of
> the spooling problem. I'll also look at the problem Mike talked about
> (the waking up of printers during resolving).

WRT waking up printers, it isn't generally an issue for a print dialog - there you can browse and query TXT records (if needed/desired) without waking the printer up.  Just hold off on doing a Get-Printer-Attributes request until you need it (after printer selection, on bring-up of the dialog for the default printer, etc.)

Also, CUPS 1.6 and later have CUPS APIs for efficiently browsing for and getting printer capabilities.  I don't know what your requirements are for CUPS versions, but that would save a lot of code right there...