[Printing-architecture] Some suggestions for the DNS-SD (Bonjour) printer support in the dialog

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sun May 19 06:08:27 UTC 2013

James,

On 2013-05-18, at 7:45 PM, James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com> wrote:

> MS> FOR EVERY COMPUTER.  Not a big deal at home.
> MS> A very big deal in a company or school.
>
> Then those should use a central cups box (or perhaps a pair) which talk
> to the printers, and to which the cups clients on every other box talk.

But that still requires that cups-browsed not be running and auto-adding printers.

> Forcing the use of dbus to print is wrong.
>
> (*Forcing* dbus is wrong for just about everything. ;^)

The reason I mention DBUS is that it a simple way to implement a per-user spooler that provides "temporary" print queues.  This could also be part of cupsd (it used to be for CUPS browsing), but I want to be careful not to re-introduce the problems of CUPS browsing.

The key is that auto-adding every printer you see has a huge overhead and isn't particularly useful for the user when there are more than a few printers - how many printers does one user print to in the typical case?  Browsing and adding-on-first-use is a much better solution since then you just manage those printers you use on a particular system.