[Printing-architecture] Some suggestions for the DNS-SD (Bonjour) printer support in the dialog

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 10:11:35 UTC 2013

During the discussion I asked this:

On 05/18/2013 08:29 AM, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> If I create a raw CUPS queue, can I send a job to it with special IPP
>> attributes so that CUPS applies a filter chain? This way I could make
>> cups-browsed only create raw queues to avoit IPP polling and the dialog
>> then could poll the printer's capabilities when the User selects the
>> printer, create the option panel PPD-less and send the job with IPP
>> attributes for the options and for making CUPS applying filters to get
>> the output into the format needed by the printer.

Is this possible with CUPS?

Then CUPS could work as spooler and filter when the exact printer
capabilities are only discovered at the moment when the user selects the
printer for a job via the print dialog. cups-browsed creates only a raw
queue on the Bonjour discovery of a printer to avoid waking up the
printer and complete capabilities are polled via IPP only if the user
selects a printer in the dialog and the dialog has to show the option panel.