[Printing-architecture] Some suggestions for the DNS-SD (Bonjour) printer support in the dialog

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 12:20:42 UTC 2013

On 06/13/2013 01:42 PM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 12:01 +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> This would mean to resemble large parts of CUPS (spooling, filtering,
>> but not networking) for a per-user/per-app printing system
>
> My idea (printservice) for this was:
> 1. Avoid spooling altogether, just send job direct to network queue
> (this is often another spooler in any case)

Should be the case for laser printers with built-in network connection,
I don't know how it is with inkjets. Or does IPP Everywhere also require
spooling space inside the printer?

> 2. Avoid most filtering by requiring jobs to be application/pdf and
> requiring that allowable network queues support application/pdf.

As IPP Everywhere has only PWG Raster as required format (the others are
optional), we need at least a pdftoraster filter, but this one filter is
already much better than having device-specific drivers and data fo
1000s of printers.