[Printing-architecture] Some suggestions for the DNS-SD (Bonjour) printer support in the dialog

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Jun 13 14:08:55 UTC 2013

Till,

On 2013-06-13, at 8:20 AM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/13/2013 01:42 PM, Tim Waugh wrote:
>> On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 12:01 +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>>> This would mean to resemble large parts of CUPS (spooling, filtering,
>>> but not networking) for a per-user/per-app printing system
>>
>> My idea (printservice) for this was:
>> 1. Avoid spooling altogether, just send job direct to network queue
>> (this is often another spooler in any case)
>
> Should be the case for laser printers with built-in network connection,
> I don't know how it is with inkjets. Or does IPP Everywhere also require
> spooling space inside the printer?

IPP Everywhere doesn't require that a printer supports spooling.  In fact, the basic support level is a non-spooling raster-only printer.

And since most IPP Everywhere printers will likely fall into the "raster-only" bucket for the foreseeable future, we do need some sort of a client spooling/conversion capability, in addition to basic job management.

>> 2. Avoid most filtering by requiring jobs to be application/pdf and
>> requiring that allowable network queues support application/pdf.
>>

> As IPP Everywhere has only PWG Raster as required format (the others are
> optional), we need at least a pdftoraster filter, but this one filter is
> already much better than having device-specific drivers and data fo
> 1000s of printers.

Agreed.

Also, even when printing to a PDF filter you may need to do some client-side prep for things like number-up.