[Printing-architecture] On the Continued Need for PostScript Workflows

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 00:45:07 UTC 2013

Hi James,

I sympathize with your concerns, but...

(1) PostScript filters aren't going to be maintained in CUPS in the future
(as far as I know)

(2) PWG IPP Everywhere (the only open standard mobile printing protocol)
abandons PostScript entirely and requires PDF

(3) Of the recent printers that I'm aware of, more are supporting native PDF
than native PostScript

(4) PostScript is deservedly disliked by government standards agencies
around the world because of how easily it can be exploited for security
attacks

I agree that PostScript files won't go away, but they are being increasingly
converted at the *source* content provider to PDF for interoperability.

Cheers,
- Ira

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com