[Printing-architecture] On the Continued Need for PostScript Workflows

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Jun 20 01:39:55 UTC 2013

James,

On 2013-06-19, at 7:00 PM, James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com> wrote:

>>> PostScript printers are still more common than PDF printers.
>
> MS> Most PostScript printers also support PDF these days.
>
> I get a lot of ads for printers in the $500-$2500 range.  And try to
> help those looking to use their new printer with linux, which involves
> researching said printers’ capabilities.
>
> I still see most lines avoiding hard drives on all but the high end (of
> each line, that is).  I also haven't seen a manual which claims pdf
> support w/o the often optional drive.

Generally speaking, any new printer that supports PDF supports it without a hard drive. Most of HP's and Lexmark's laser printers support PDF now, and they all do it without a hard drive. The $229 OfficeJet 276 (an inkjet printer) supports PDF and has no hard drive - everything is stored in RAM (about 40MB available in that particular printer).