[Printing-architecture] On the Continued Need for PostScript Workflows

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Thu Jun 20 06:23:45 UTC 2013

MS> Generally speaking, any new printer that supports PDF supports it
MS> without a hard drive.

That is news.

MS> Most of HP's and Lexmark's laser printers support PDF now,
MS> and they all do it without a hard drive.

Interesting.  Those two are among the few brands from which I don't get
ads and haven't recently researched.

MS> The $229 OfficeJet 276 (an inkjet printer) supports PDF and has no
MS> hard drive - everything is stored in RAM (about 40MB available in
MS> that particular printer).

s/276/251/g for the $229 price point.

They (the 251 and the 276) are the first I've seen to spec "native PDF".

Running pdf from ram is definitely new.  I hope it is a trend.

Does it get ipp right?  Including with TLS?

-JimC