[Printing-architecture] RFC: Patch for (libusb-based) USB backend for quirks files

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 17:51:25 UTC 2013

The patch is great. This makes it really much easier to handle quirk
rules for USB devices. This way one can ask users to add quirk rules
when they report a bug and so easily find the correct rules and the user
also has his problem properly solved until the rule makes it into CUPS.
Also the "whitelist" anti-quirk is a good idea to override
manufacturer-wide rules for some models.

What I would like to see is the possibility to have quirk rules (or at
least blacklisting) also for other backends. Also the prossibility to
prioritize backends via a directory of files would be great. This could
assure correct automated printer setup in all situations. In addition,
it must be assured that when one and the same printer is discovered by
various backends that these discoveries can be assigned to that one printer.

To conform with the files system hierarchy standard your patch needs a
small modification: Quirk files need to be searched in two directories,
once the one you are already using, /usr/share/cups/usb/, for the quirk
files of CUPS itself and of other packages, like Gutenprint, and second,
something in /etc/, like /etc/cups/backend/usb/, for rules defined by
the local user or admin.

   Till