[Printing-architecture] printers.conf frequently gets truncated to zero length after unclean shutdowns

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Jul 23 18:59:48 UTC 2013

Eric,

On 2013-07-23, at 2:27 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen at redhat.com> wrote:
> Data persistence does have performance implications, so I can't speak
> directly to your other experiences where it was problematic; there are
> techniques which can be used to minimize the overhead and/or minimize
> the need for data persistence in the first place.  But avoiding it
> altogether, with the end result of lost configurations, is IMHO
> undesirable - so although I think application-critical data should
> be persisted in a way that allows graceful recovery from unforeseen
> events, I'm glad that you're at least considering a mechanism to
> enable it.

The thing is, we *used* to fsync and now we don't because of the performance issues. We added the .O/.N dance to help reduce the likelihood of lost config files.

Like I said, I am not convinced that fsync will solve this issue, but will get the new directive in there so at least people can try it out on a case-by-case basis.

Longer term we should be able to enable it by default again once cupsd itself won't block on it...