[Printing-architecture] cups-browsed - What to do if client.conf redirects to remote CUPS

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 21:42:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

cups-browsed works well browsing printer broadcasts from remote servers
and auto-adding local raw queues pointing to these printers as long as
CUPS clients are not redirected to remote servers via /etc/cups/client.conf.

If there is such a re-direction, cups-browsed does not make much sense,
as it cannot manipulate CUPS queues on a remote server. It can even
misbehave, as

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups-filters/+bug/1207203

shows.

What I would like to do is to make cups-browsed always connecting to the
local CUPS daemon, ignoring any client.conf setting. Is this easily
possible?

Or should I better simply on the first failed attempt to add or remove a
print queue make cups-browsed shutting down and enter a stand-by loop
until the cupsServer() output changes?