[Printing-architecture] cups-browsed - What to do if client.conf redirects to remote CUPS

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Aug 5 23:35:02 UTC 2013

Till,

On 2013-08-05, at 5:42 PM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I would like to do is to make cups-browsed always connecting to the local CUPS daemon, ignoring any client.conf setting. Is this easily possible?

Sure, don't use cupsServer() to get the default server and don't use CUPS_HTTP_DEFAULT for any http_t * parameters.

> Or should I better simply on the first failed attempt to add or remove a print queue make cups-browsed shutting down and enter a stand-by loop until the cupsServer() output changes?

The value of cupsServer() is cached for the life of the application.  And while we *do* have a bug tracking a potential change to detect whether the client.conf file(s) have changed, we are also doing our best to move away from static configuration information in order to better function in a mobile world.