[Printing-architecture] windows, samba, cups, color and BW

Alex Korobkin korobkin+op at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 18:10:55 UTC 2013

Hi Christian,

I have the same setup, but I didn't notice this problem before.
You see, radio buttons on the "Paper / Quality" tab simply tell Windows
apps to render print jobs in color or b&w. At the same time, "Color mode"
within the Advanced page actually inserts a PostScript command into the job
that tells Ricoh printer to print in color or in b&w mode, regardless of
the contents of the job.

I think it is a bug in Adobe Reader: it doesn't honor color/b&w radio
buttons in the printer settings at all. However, if you look under
Properties button of the Print dialog in Reader, there is a "Print in
grayscale" checkbox. You can tell your users to use that one instead of
going all the way to Advanced options.