[Printing-architecture] windows, samba, cups, color and BW

Christian chanlists at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 26 13:13:46 UTC 2013

Hi all,

thanks for the message, Alex. I have run the whole thing with
"PreserveJobFiles yes" on the cups server and tested the four different
combinations of the two settings. The result is (RB short for the color
vs. b+w radio button, and ADV short for the "ColorModel" setting under
the advanced tab):

* RB_color_ADV_bw.ps (490 KB) hochgeladen auf YouSendIt:
http://www.hightail.com/download/OGhlNU1BTXYrV3hjR01UQw*
RB_color_ADV_color.ps (490 KB) hochgeladen auf YouSendIt:
http://www.hightail.com/download/OGhlNU1BTXY5NVVpR01UQw* RB_bw_ADV_bw.ps
(490 KB) hochgeladen auf YouSendIt:
http://www.hightail.com/download/OGhlNU1BTXZtUUZBSXNUQw*
RB_bw_ADV_color.ps (490 KB) hochgeladen auf YouSendIt:
http://www.hightail.com/download/OGhlNU1BTXZ6NE9LRmNUQw

So I though I could write a cups filter and correct this behavior. I
should just be able to change the ColorModel in the postscript to get
the desired effect (tested). But how do I know on the cups server what
the setting of the radio button was? Doing a diff between e. g.
RB_bw_ADV_color.ps and RB_color_ADV_color.ps does not give me much of a
hint...

I appreciate any help as I am not certain I can educate everybody here
to use a different button or a different application, so I will have to
make that work somehow...

An alternative would be to have different printer queues for color and
b+w, but than how can I make the radio button disappear from the dialog box?

Thanks,

Christian